Friday, April 10, 2009

It's a ......WHAT?!?!?!?

First off, I have to congratulate my friend Jen over at Jen's Rantings on the news that she's having a girl!!! Yay! a little sister for Crazypixie:) Her news got me thinking though...

Ever since we discovered we were expecting for the second time, I've just assumed that we would have another girl. I have it in my head that I am meant to be the mother of girl babies, that I have some sort of "lady gene" which prohibits me from producing a male until I've popped out at least 3 of the fairer sex.

Take my family history for example; my mom? Three girls, then two boys. My Uncle? Three girls, one boy. It just seems that if you start with a girl, you go on to collect the entire set before adding a boy to the mix, at which point you realize that they are a whole new set of troubles and stop procreating altogether. Add to that the fact that we have enough pink, flowery clothing to dress at least ten baby girls simultaneously and you can see why I find the thought of having a boy rather perplexing...

Obviously I don't care what we have so long as the child is healthy and well, but to be honest, I really don't know what we'd DO with a boy! (and by we I mean me as I've a feeling my partner would be more then comfortable with a little more testocerone around the place)

For starters, I am more then a little freaked out at the thought of the penis and all it entails. When I was visiting home last summer, I had the experience of watching my sister change her son's nappy. Being the mother of a young baby myself, I considered myself expert in such matters. Even so, I got the shock of my LIFE when she took off his nappy. WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!?!? Obviously it was his penis and yes, as my child's conception was far from immaculate I am fully aware of the physical differences between males and females, but still... my baby doesn't have one of those.

This brought up a whole new set of questions. How do you clean it? How do you keep them covering the place in pee when they're having "air time" (nappy free time for those of you not in the know) I assume it produces somewhat of a sprinkler effect. Little girls are much neater as it just sort of trickles out onto the towel beneath them.

And how about things like circumcision? How do you decide? Personally, I would have huge issues with this. The thought of "chopping off" a bit of his bit makes me queasy, but what if he grew to manhood and was like "Jesus mom! Why'd you go and leave it on? No one else has one and no one knows what to do with it either!"

I suppose I'd just have to consult the expert on such matters, his father, who, by the way, dealt quite admirably with the delicate flaps and folds of our girl child when first confronted with one of her messier creations.

Also, boys seem to be that bit more "rambunctious" then girls. Having observed the social interactions of my friends' babies, I no longer give any truck to that whole "It's how you raise them..." crap. As far as I'm concerned, in this area at least, Nature kicks Nurture's ASS! They're mad little creatures, full of vim and vigour from the get go. While the girls are happy to take regular "sit breaks" where they happily sit and play away, the little men are like freakin' action heros in training! They NEVER STOP MOVING!!!!

It's a bit of a shock to the system to be honest, to think that somehow, with my lifetime's experience of all things pink, soft and estrogen fuelled, my body could create a little person who will grow up to be broad, hairy and more then likely, his dad being who he is, a devotee of the cinematic offerings of Sylvester Stallone.

But for now, my little princess is stirring from her nap and needs changing and dressing for the day. It's sunny and warm outside, I was thinking maybe something pink.

Only time will tell.

7 comments:

  1. It's weird. I have 17 nephews now and 3 nieces. All boys in our family too. My first child was a boy. So, like you, I just assumed this one would be a boy.

    Looks like it's going to be a girl though :-)

    You just never know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chuckling here.

    Please for the love of god don't be using the c word. Unless a doctor says so, why chop off anything!

    Some soap and water and a gentle mind as you go and you'd be just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We tend to leave little boys intact in this country.......but I wouldn't know what to do with a little boy either....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Little boys are SO EASY! Easier to clean, as long as you remember to pop the nappy on fast and not get sprayed :)

    They're sweet, they're happy, they're tough, they're clever. Second babies, anyway.

    Circumcision, what are you thinking! Would you cut bits of your baby girl??
    Have a search for articles telling you all about it on www.mothering.com

    I worked on getting my little boy, and I'm so blessedly glad I did. He's so sweet, and cuddly, and smiley - I thought he'd be slower and more passive, but he's done everything sooner than his sister. And his strong little body, his uncomplaining adventurousness. I'm telling you, boys are the business.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the record, I have no intention of ever cutting anything off of any children I have or will have in the future (aside from trimming hair and nails) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think circumcision is as common as it was in the States but when we were growing up nearly every boy was circumcised (seriously!). I was surprised when I moved here and learned that it is not done here (ok not that I went around asking or anything). I totally know what you mean about not knowing what to do with a boy, I am SO glad I had a girl first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you are right when it comes to our little super heroes in training. I had a daughter first, she was all ribbons and bows, loved playing with cars and trucks in the dirt too. But, she never EVER threw a metal truck at anyone. My boys have to test every toy first to see if every object is aerodynamically suitable. So Maria, I understand your apprehension.

    But the other side of the coin is... they are so loving and sweet. It was only yesterday that my four year old told me that I was pretty and when he got big he was going to marry me...

    ReplyDelete